Therapeutic Massage at Menner Chiropractic
Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being! If you’ve never tried massage, learn about its possible health benefits and what to expect during a massage therapy session.
What is massage?
Massage is a general term for pressing, rubbing and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Massage may range from light stroking to deep pressure. There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massage is generally considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. It’s increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.
Studies of the benefits of massage demonstrate that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress, pain and muscle tension. While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Joint pain
Some Helpful Insights
- Some forms of massage can leave you feeling a bit sore the next day, this is normal, but massage shouldn’t ordinarily be painful or uncomfortable. If any part of your massage doesn’t feel right or is uncomfortable, speak up right away. The soreness is due to moving around the joints and muscles that may not have moved in a while.
- Make sure you are icing the area that the doctor or therapist worked on, it will help with the inflammation and healing process.
- At Menner Chiropractic, our doctors recommend icing for 15 minutes on, every 60 minutes with a fabric-covered ice pack. You can secure your ice pack with a velcro strap while doing your active daily routine. Repeating a few times a day is ideal.
- We also recommend drinking an extra glass or two of water to help flush out toxins that might have been released with the therapy.
Are you interested in learning more about Therapeutic Massage, or do you want to begin your own Therapeutic Massage regimen that’s customized to fit your needs? Click here to make an appointment or call Menner Chiropractic at (847) 540-6060.